The adage goes, “It’s better to be safe than sorry” and that is especially true when it comes to the health and well being of our senior relatives; although it can also apply to anyone at any age that may be dealing with a medical issue.
When you’re talking with the seniors or other family members in your life about whether it’s time to have a home medical alert here are some questions you may want to consider:
- Are you a senior or individual suffering a health issue and do you want to remain independent?
- Even if you do not live alone, do you live with someone who may not be able to provide medical assistance if you become ill or fall?
- Do you find your stability is less than it used to be? Have you fallen in the past year?
- Do you need to use a walker or cane or wheelchair to navigate your way around the home?
- Would you, and your family, feel better and have more peace of mind knowing that your loved one could immediately summon help at the push of a button if a medical need arose?
- If you agreed to use a personal medical device, would it make your family feel more comfortable about your desire to age in place?
Once you’ve answered these questions, you may have a better understanding of the importance of, and need for, a home medical alert system. Also, did you know that one out of every three people over the age of 65 will suffer at least one fall a year? If you suffer a fall, having fast access to emergency medical care can improve the outcome.
While the devices are typically thought of as being for the elderly, did you know that you can use a medical alert device at any age? How do you know whether you may be a candidate? Answer these questions:
- Do you have any serious allergies, asthma, high blood pressure, COPD or diabetes?
- Have you suffered a stroke, heart attack or do you have arthritis?
- Do you have osteoporosis? If so, you could be at a higher risk of broken bones from a trip or fall accident and may not be able to get up if you do fall.
- Have you been hospitalized in the past year?
- Are you facing surgery and a period of in-home recovery?
- Do you take any medications that can cause dizziness?
- Do you have a medical condition that requires you to have help with bathing, dressing or preparing your own meals?
- Are you dealing with any neurological disorders such as ALS, Cerebral Palsy, Parkinson’s or MS?
Regardless of your age, if you answered yes to any of these questions above, you could be at risk of needing to summon medical help in the event of an emergency and with LifeFone you would have the access to assistance you’d need.
Are you a parent who may need to leave a child home alone or with a babysitter? Consider the answers to these questions:
- Is your child ever left home alone?
- Are your children home with a babysitter?
- Do your children have any medical needs or suffer any allergies?
- Do you live alone or are you home a significant portion of the day?
- Do you work in a situation that requires you to either work alone or work in an area in which you’re alone for extended periods?
- Do you live with someone who simply couldn’t assist you if you suffered a medical emergency or a trip or fall accident?
Because no one can predict when a medical emergency will arise and we cannot protect ourselves from bad things happening, we can arm ourselves and protect our families by providing access to help when it’s needed.
LifeFone understands that emergencies all have one thing in common: When they occur, you need help immediately! Because you just don’t know that in the midst of an emergency whether you will be able to get to a telephone, remember the numbers you need to call, or even be able to speak, having access to the medical alert pendant or bracelet could literally save your life.
A LifeFone medical alert system is ideal whether you’re suffering a long-term health issue or a temporary illness or recovering from a surgery! You can have access to LifeFone during your temporary need because you are not required to make a time commitment when you subscribe to the service.
FREE BROCHURE Today!