As we age, we become more prone to falls and injuries, and for seniors living alone, a fall can be a life-threatening event. Falls are a leading cause of injury among older adults, and it’s estimated that one out of four seniors aged 65 and older fall each year, with 20% of these falls leading to serious injuries such as fractures or head trauma. This is why fall detection technology has become an essential feature in medical alert systems, as it can help seniors get immediate assistance in case of a fall, which can potentially save their lives.
Fall detection technology is a feature that is commonly found in medical alert systems. It uses sensors and algorithms to detect when a fall has occurred and automatically sends an alert to the monitoring center. Once the alert is received, the monitoring center can quickly assess the situation and dispatch emergency services if needed.
There are several reasons why choosing a medical alert system with fall detection is crucial for seniors:
- Immediate Assistance: Falls can happen anytime, anywhere, and can leave seniors unable to call for help. With fall detection, medical alert systems can automatically detect a fall and send an alert for help, even if the senior is unable to press the emergency button.
- Independence: Seniors who live alone can feel isolated and vulnerable, especially if they fear falling and not being able to call for help. With a medical alert system with fall detection, they can feel more confident and independent, knowing that help is always available.
- Peace of Mind: Family members and caregivers can have peace of mind knowing that their loved ones are being monitored and can get help quickly in case of a fall or other emergency.
- Cost-Effective: Medical alert systems with fall detection are relatively affordable, especially when compared to the cost of nursing homes or assisted living facilities. They offer an excellent alternative for seniors who want to age in place and maintain their independence.
- Customization: Medical alert systems with fall detection come in different forms, and can be customized to suit the needs and preferences of each user. For instance, some systems can be worn as a pendant or wristband, while others can be placed on a tabletop or mounted on a wall.
Choosing a medical alert system with fall detection is essential for seniors who live alone and want to maintain their independence. Fall detection technology can provide immediate assistance in case of a fall, give seniors and their families peace of mind, and offer a cost-effective alternative to nursing homes or assisted living facilities. It’s crucial to consider the features of different medical alert systems and choose the one that best suits the user’s needs and preferences.
LifeFone’s fall detection pendants have been tested against every known solution in the marketplace and perform top in class. Approximately 95% of falls will be detected. More subtle falls may be difficult to detect. The pendant is also equipped with a standard help button for added security. Since no fall detection system detects 100% of falls, this pendant is also equipped with a standard help button for added security. If able, users should press their help button in any type of emergency.
In general, fall detection is most helpful to people who have frequent falls, have the potential to fall, and have chronic medical conditions and mobility issues. People who are highly active are more likely to experience false alarms, so they may find it less helpful. Each situation and person is different. If you’d like to discuss your situation with a LifeFone sales representative, we’re here to advise you. Please give us a call at 1-800-882-2280
FREE BROCHURE Today!