Hundreds of lives are lost each year due the tragic consequences of carbon monoxide poisoning. The danger is of greater concerns during the winter months when people use heating devices and stoves to keep warm. This colorless, odorless gas can be deadly. In fact, accidental carbon monoxide poisoning takes more than 400 peoples’ lives each year in the United States according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Another 20,000 people visit emergency departments, with more than 4,000 requiring hospitalization.
LifeFone urges everyone to learn about the potential signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. Symptoms can include:
- Chest Pain
These symptoms, also present in other illnesses, makes Carbon Monoxide Poisoning hard to recognize.
“If you get bad headaches or suffer from any of these symptoms, you may easily confuse them with the flu,” said Dr. Schneider of the American College of Emergency Physicians. “People should be concerned about the possible presence of carbon monoxide if more than one person living or working together develops these symptoms simultaneously over a short period of time.”
Ways To Help Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
- Install a carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home
- Never leave your automobile running in a closed garage.
- Make sure all gas appliances are properly vented so that carbon monoxide does not build up
- Have gas appliances installed by a professional
- Ensure that your stove or fireplace is vented
- Have your fireplace, flues and chimney inspected once a year for buildup
In addition to all the benefits of a medical alert system, LifeFone has a package that also monitors fire, smoke and Carbon Monoxide. This system can provide peace of mind to you and your loved one as it protects against the invisible danger of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.
FREE BROCHURE Today!